For anyone who can’t eat grains or gluten, it’s pretty hard it is to find a decent bread substitute.
When all you want is for something to hold a sandwich together, getting the right consistency, or even getting any taste at all, is a tricky business.
But we think we’ve found the solution in Cloud Bread – even the name sounds yummy doesn’t it!
What you’ll need:
3 eggs separated
3 tbsp softened cream cheese
¼ tsp cream of tartar
1 tbsp honey
- Set your oven to 300 degrees and line or grease two baking sheets. Carefully separate the eggs and in a small bowl mix together the egg yolks, cream cheese and honey until it’s a smooth mixture.
- In another bowl and the cream of tartar to the egg whites and beat on high speed until they form stiff peaks.
- Carefully fold the egg yolk mix into the egg whites until they are mixed thoroughly. Try not to lose too much of the air in the egg whites.
- With a large spoon scoop 10 even rounds onto the baking sheets (about 4-5 inches across).
- Bake in the centre of the oven for around 30 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown.
- Remove from the pans and cool on a wire rack.
- When they are fresh out of the oven, the consistency is crumbly and similar to cooked meringue.
- Once completely cool, (you can store overnight in a plastic bag or Tupperware container) they will change their consistency, to a softer bread texture that is nice and chewy.