Packed with superfoods and fantastic flavours, this seasonal chicken salad will give your immune system a boost as well as tasting fantastic.
This recipe serves four and has around 320 calories per portion.
- 250g tenderstem broccoli
- 2 teaspoons of oil (rapeseed or olive)
- 1 red onion
- 100g watercress
- 2 raw beetroots, peeled and thinly sliced (or - much easier - buy a bag of raw, sliced beetroot)
- 1 teaspoon of nigella seeds
- 3 chicken breasts
- Fresh basil leaves
- 1 avocado
- 1 crushed garlic glove
- 25g crushed walnuts
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Lemon juice and zest
- Boil the broccoli for a short time, so it retains its firmness
- Toss the broccoli in a little oil and griddle for around three minutes, until the broccoli is slightly charred. Then set aside
- Brush the chicken with oil, season well and griddle until cooked through. Then shred it into small pieces.
- To make the pesto: put basil, avocado, garlic, walnuts, oil, lemon juice and a splash of cold water into a food processor. Season to taste.
- To serve, place watercress in a salad bowl and add the broccoli, red onion, beetroot and chicken. Season with a small handful of basil, lemon zest and nigella seeds.
- Serve with avocado pesto on the side.