Going to get fitter? Lose weight? Learn Spanish? Whatever your new year’s resolution, statistically it’s likely you’re going to fail your admirable goals, yet again.
Luckily for you, we’ve got a list of the best tricks to ensure your good intentions actually stand a chance:
- Take Advantage of Apps. If we all had a personal adviser to tell us what to eat, how much to exercise and how to save money, we’d all be a lot more successful. Well, an app comes pretty close to that. There’s loads to choose from whether you want to quit smoking, manage your money better or work out at home.
- Track your progress. Monitoring small successes will help motivate you. Small, short term goals are also easier to keep, and you can reward yourself as you go along. Try keeping track of your goals and habits with Resolutions for Android and Strides for iOS.
- Establish habits. Making new activities into a habit can take 21 days, according to experts. But within 6 months it will become part of your personality. So visit the gym twice a week for 3 weeks and it should start to feel more “instinctive” to exercise.
- One habit at a time. Don’t try to create too many new habits at once or you are probably setting yourself up for failure. Focus on introducing just one good habit at a time. Once you have the feeling of success - even for a small habit – this will be encouraging and uplifting, ripe conditions for setting up more new habits!
- Be specific. Write very specific plans for how you are going to achieve your chosen goal. E.g. rather than just saying “I will exercise more”, say “I will visit the gym on Mondays and Wednesdays at 18:30 pm, and Saturdays at 10:00am”. Even decide what muscle groups you will work, which machines you will use and for how long. “Treadmill for 10 minutes, 12 sets of lat pulldowns, upper-body on Mondays”. Seriously, this will revolutionise your workouts.
- Motivate yourself. When the going gets tough, confidence can disappear and thoughts of quitting can be very loud and persistent. This is the time when a few words of encouragement are often all that’s need to get back on track. Immerse your mind with positive quotes and motivational videos. Remember that what you focus on, often becomes reality.
- Get a buddy. We’ve mentioned this before, but get someone else to join you in your new goals. This will help you stay accountable and more likely to keep up your routine. Payasugym now allows you to link your account with a buddy (or buddies) so if your resolution is to exercise more, this might double your chances of success!