Time is precious, and the more time you waste on ineffective activity before and during a workout, the more you hamper results. If you’re looking to fit in some serious workout time, in no time at all, then follow these simple steps.
- Wherever you are – work out. You don’t have to be in the familiar setting of the gym to get a really constructive workout. You could be at home, and if there are the shower facilities, you could even set off from your office. It’s a misconception that you need tons of equipment to get in a decent workout, the fact is that as long as you have yourself you can use your own body weight for strength exercises, go for a run to cover the aerobic bases, and remember to stretch afterwards.
- Increase the intensity. Rather than building up from a walking pace into a steady stride, why not try some different exercises that use bursts of energy? This is a proven way to improve your fitness. Go hard out on burpees, jumping jacks and lunges. Expect to feel the burn, but remember you’ll still be burning fat after you’ve finished. Take a look at our beginner's guide to High Intensity Interval Training workouts for more info.
- Don’t rest too long. It’s tempting to rest in between every round of exercises, but this actually isn’t necessary. Of course you’ll need to stop and catch your breath, but your body doesn’t need to come to a complete standstill before the next set of reps.
- Save time getting changed. You can easily lose 15 minutes before you’ve even started by messing around in the changing rooms. Don’t worry about doing your hair first – it’s about the workout, so you should be working hard on your exercises rather than your appearance at this stage.
- Go it alone. Working out with others can sometimes slow us down. Unless your training buddies have the same goals and at are a similar level, work out on your own and get the results you’re after.