Rev up your metabolism with these waistline-whittling foods. These delicious foods really do boost your metabolism rate and help you burn fat. The key is to incorporate them all into your regular diet and eat every four to five hours.
- LEMONS. Lemons are fantastic for your weight! The chemical properties can reduce insulin levels, boosting metabolism. Get into the habit of drinking warm water with lemon juice each morning. The digestive enzymes and fibre will get your digestive system moving so you anything you eat that day will be more efficiently processed.
- GARLIC. This nutrient-rich bulb offers amazing health benefits. Eating more garlic can also help you lose weight by increasing the calories burned during the day while reducing the body’s production of fat. Best effects are from raw garlic, so add it to salad dressings, hummus, or just before finishing cooking a sauce.
- LEAN MEAT. Combined with exercise, lean meat can help you develop leaner muscles which in turn helps increase your metabolism. Your body has to work hard to digest protein, and it makes you feel fuller for longer. Eat good quality protein such as chicken breast, turkey breast and lean cuts of beef, pork and lamb.
- CAYENNE PEPPER. This hot spice can stimulate your metabolism by up to 20 per cent, as well as suppress appetite. All spicy peppers, including cayenne, increase the body’s temperature. This forces the body to go through a cooling process, burning more calories. Cayenne will add a powerful kick to soups, stews, chillies and pasta dishes.
- TINNED TUNA. A popular food with bodybuilders, tuna is a great source of protein that helps boost our metabolism. It’s also packed with omega-3 fatty acids which cuts leptin production, helping your body process foods more effectively.
- BLUEBERRIES. All berries are high in dietary fibre. The body cannot digest fibre, but it still tries, and burns calories in the process. Fibre also helps ‘soak’ up the fat and calories from food, removing them from the digestive tract before they’re absorbed.
- ASPARAGUS. Some claim asparagus is a negative energy food, requiring more calories to chew and digest than it actually contains. Whether this is true or not, it makes a great tasting food and an ideal accompaniment to summer BBQs.
- CHEESE. A cheese sandwich with wholemeal bread has been found to boost metabolism almost 50% more than processed cheese on white bread. Cheese is also linked to a longer life and reduced obesity, known as the ‘French Paradox’. Blue-veined varieties like Roquefort cheese are suggested to be particularly helpful.
- APPLE CIDER VINEGAR. Made from fermented apples, this is a proven fat burner which helps you lose weight. Researchers credit vinegar’s acetic acid as responsible for boosting metabolism, leveling blood sugar levels and breaking down fat. Take a teaspoonful of raw, unfiltered vinegar water before meals, or make yourself a zingy homemade salad dressing.
- ALMONDS. Nuts may be high in calories but their essential fatty acids make them great metabolism boosters, and almonds top the fat burning charts! The fat in almonds will trigger your body’s fat burning process, prompting your body to look for other fat to burn. Just remember 10 – 15 nuts are a serving, not 50!
Even if you eat all these foods all day long, you won’t match the calorie burn of a good workout. But combining the two gives a double whammy effect, which really will get that metabolism firing!