Need some extra flavour in your water? Put down the cordial and ‘vitamin water’, you can make your own really fruity, really vitamin-packed water at home. We’ve put together some of the best recipes for health and taste benefits.
WHAT IS VITAMIN WATER?
Quite simply, it is water fortified with vitamins and other nutrients. Marketed as healthy alternatives to sugary soft drinks, vitamin waters have become extremely popular over the last few years. But usually vitamin-enhanced waters are just bottles full of sugar water with added vitamin supplements.
CAN I MAKE MY OWN?
A resounding YES! Concocting your own vitamin water is easy, affordable and will definitely benefit your health with added vitamins and antioxidants. You will need:
- A pitcher (or you could use kilner jars),
- Ripe fruit and herbs. Any fruit except bananas works. Mint is a popular herb choice, though basil, rosemary and sage are all good.
- Filtered water and ice is ideal but regular tap water will be fine.
- Tip: Add some to a water bottle and take to your workouts with you.
- Tip: Put a lid on the pitcher and they will last 3-4 days in the fridge.
WHAT ARE THE HEALTH BENEFITS?
- Nutrition. Fresh fruit provides tasty doses of vitamins and antioxidants in a refreshing gulp. Herbs contain high levels of phytonutrients which are great for many health conditions.
- Variety. The great thing about making your own is that you can do any combination you fancy.
- Taste. Vitamin water gives appealing flavour to water without chemicals and sugar.
- Kids love it. Vitamin water looks attractive which should encourage the whole family to stay hydrated.
- Reduce wastage. It’s a great way to use up ripe fruit. You can also chuck the fruit into your next smoothie!
- Lemon and Cucumber. A classic combo that will refresh and detox you. Thinly slice 1 cucumber and 1-2 lemons. Cover with 2 litres of water and serve! Wait 4-6 hours for a stronger flavour. Benefits: Lemon juice is a powerful cleanser, aids digestion and boosts your immune system. A few slices of cucumber will rehydrate you and reduce inflammation.
Pineapple and Mint. Combine 2 litres of water with 1 cup of cubed pineapple and 12 fresh mint leaves. Benefits: Mint is great for aiding digestion and pineapple helps your body get rid of free radicals.
Ginger and Mango. Both these ingredients are great for boosting your metabolism. Ginger is also a powerful detoxer and pain reliever. A little goes a long way with ginger. Simply slice an inch of peeled ginger root and a cup of cubed mango to a pitcher of water.
- Blackberry and Sage. This subtle but refreshing blend has heaps of benefits. Both blackberries and sage leaf have among the highest antioxidant content of any berries and leaves. Bruise 3 sage leaves and add a cup of lightly crushed blackberries. Place in a kilner jar and add ice cubes.
- Watermelon, Lime and Rosemary. A deliciously sweet combo, simply add a cup of cubed watermelon, a sprig of rosemary and a few slices of lime.