OK, so the name probably doesn’t fill you with the thought of tempting, flavour-filled sweetness but veggie cakes really are all the rage. A step beyond the classic carrot cake, it’s surprising how many vegetables truly do taste fantastic when baked and used as a key ingredient for cake.
This tasty courgette cake is not only free of sugar, it is also nut and egg free so it’s great for allergies and intolerances.
In short, it’s a guilt free cake – what could be better?
- 200g butter
- 300g plain flour
- 250g sugar free apricot jam
- 2 teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda
- 500g grated courgette
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- Splash of full fat milk (or dairy-free alternative)
- 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C / Gas Mark 4
- Using a large bowl, cream together the butter and two thirds of the jar of sugar free jam until the mixture is light and fluffy
- Add in the vanilla essence and a splash of chosen milk
- Stir in the ready grated courgettes (including peel)
- Add in the plain flour and bicarbonate of soda and thoroughly stir to create a fully combined mixture
- Grease a cake tin (20cm size) and pour in the mixture
- Place the tin in the centre of the oven and bake for around 30 minutes, until golden brown and an inserted knife or skewer comes out free of cake mixture
- Leave to cool before removing from the cake tin
- Optional for more flavour: slice the cake across the middle splitting into two halves like a Victoria Sponge and spread on the remainder of the jam.
- Sprinkle the top of your cake with the cinnamon.
- Slice and enjoy!