Don’t let those good intentions go to waste. If you need some motivation to keep you focused on fitness, here’s a little reminder on the benefits of those gym sessions:
- Exercise keeps you looking good. Being fit and working out will keep your weight down and your body toned. You will burn more calories, even when you’re not exercising, by increasing your metabolic rate. It also helps to keep your skin looking clear and youthful.
- Exercise makes you feel good. Your feel-good brain chemicals, serotonin and dopamine, get released when you exercise. This lifts your mood and reduces stress, anxiety and depression.
- Exercise reduces the risk of developing chronic diseases. Physical activity keeps your heart healthy, reducing high blood pressure and the risk of coronary heart disease and stroke. It increases the level of good cholesterol in your blood and reduces the bad cholesterol.
Regular exercise reduces the risk of cancer. It has been shown to reduce bowel and breast cancer by 25% and womb cancer by a third. It also helps to prevent other cancers such as prostate cancer.
- Exercise is believed to help brain function, improving memory and boosting performance. It is also thought to reduce the risk of Dementia.
- Weight training keeps your muscles strong and bones dense. This means you are less likely to suffer injury and reduces the risk of osteoporosis as you age.
- Exercise makes you sleep better. The value of a good nights’ sleep cannot be underestimated, so if you’re finding it hard to shut down, a good gym session will sort your sleep out.
Enough motivation? The gym is waiting for you!