Nothing beats a good, secure relationship. But when things get too comfortable you can lose your motivation to keep yourself trim and healthy. Taking on a fitness regime alone can also be daunting. So why not make a joint effort ?
Why do it together?
- If you choose to fight the battle of the bulge together you’re much more likely to succeed. Recent research shows that getting fit is much easier if your partner joins in too.
- Working towards a common goal helps you bond, earns mutual respect and gives you precious time together.
- You will strengthen the foundations of your relationship. Playing badminton together could show you a streak of determination you didn’t know was there, while he might spy the competitive side in you when you check who can hold the plank the longest!
It’s a good idea to try things you don’t usually do, or test new fitness trends. Some fun ideas for couple workouts include:
- Martial arts –do you fancy grappling, throwing, boxing and staring out your partner? Martial arts give you the chance to perfect some close-contact skills together, decrease stress and give an amazing workout.
- Home exercises – there are plenty of online workouts for couples which are great when you have a spare 5 minutes at home.
- Racquet sports - Tennis, badminton and squash will give you quality time with your partner whilst getting exercise. Short bursts of energy are required, and you can build up speed, agility and strength.
- Weight lifting – the great thing about weights is you can be completely different fitness levels and still workout together. You can switch machines with your partner, work through all body parts and motivate each other by yelling ‘gimme 5 more!’.
Remember, couples who play together, stay together. So have fun and get fit!