It’s set to be a long hot summer so baring your abs is all part of the beach package.
To ensure you have enviable abs all summer long, try these 5 exercises:
- Push-ups: A cross between a plank and a bench press, the push-up strengthens your six-pack and builds your chest. From the push-up position, put your arms slightly out in front of you with your elbows near to the side of your body. Keep your back straight and with your abs tight, lower your body until it almost touches the floor before pausing and pushing back to the start position.
- One-arm push-up: So now you’ve mastered the push-up, trying it with one hand will take your abs to a whole new level. Start in the push-up position with one hand behind your back. The other arm should be slightly out in front of you. Keep your legs wide and lower your body down almost to the floor. Push back up to the starting position.
- Offset dumbbell lunges: A great way to work your obliques, take a dumbbell and stand up straight with feet shoulder-width apart. Step forward with one leg and lower your body so your knee is at a 90-degree angle. Step forward with the other leg to the starting position. Take a step forward with the opposite foot and repeat this pattern.
- Tight rotations: Stand straight with your feet apart, about shoulder width. With your arms straight out in front of you, lock your hands together. Rotate your arms and torso as quickly as possible from right to left, keeping the movement on your feet.
- Cable Chops: Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and your abs braced. Grab a cable in one hand and pull it across your body. Then turn your shoulders and hips, as if you are swinging a bat. You have three options for the motion: high to low, low to high, or you can press horizontally, from the shoulder level.