Want to beef up your arms? Contrary to what you might think, the triceps – not the biceps – are the main muscles responsible for adding impressive bulk.
Guess what – we’ve designed a workout aimed at maximising your mass by using just dumbbells. .
Do as many reps and sets as you feel comfortable with. Get ready to trounce those triceps!
- Put your hand and knee on a bench and hold a dumbbell in your other hand, upper arm parallel to your body and palms facing in. Lean forward so your body makes a 45 degree angle with the bench.
- Keeping your upper arm still, extend your elbow and push the dumbbell back until your whole arm is parallel to the floor.
- Slow bend your arm to lower the weight. Repeat with the other arm.
- Lie on a bench with dumbbells in each hand. Extend arms straight up over your chest with palms facing down.
- Point elbows outward and bend them as you lower the weights almost to your chest so you make a right angle. Ensure your arms are turned inward as this hits your triceps from a new angle. Push back up and repeat.
CROSS-BODY UNILATERAL EXTENSION
- Hold a dumbbell in one hand and lie back on a bench or the floor. Straighten your arm up holding the weight above your shoulder.
- Bend your elbow and lower the dumbbell slowly to the opposite shoulder, using your free hand to stabilise the upper arm if you need. Hold for a moment.
- Bring the dumbbell back up to starting position. Do several more reps then switch sides.
- Stand with feet shoulder width apart and one dumbbell held in front of you with both hands. Raise the dumbbell above your head and straighten your arms.
- Slowly lower the weight behind your head, keeping your elbows tucked in as much as possible. Keep the upper arms steady and keep lowering until your forearms touch your biceps.
- Return to starting position and repeat up to 12 reps.
Weight workouts are incredibly beneficial – so make sure you work them into your next gym session!